March 2009 updates:
1. Forget the 9x13 pan. Use a full sheet pan and a silicon mat. Stir everything with silicon spatulas.
2. Buzz the candied and dried ginger, chili powder, cayenne and salt (new!) in a small food processor and add the mixture to the melted butter.
5 T butter (yes, butter, not margarine or oil)
1/4-1/3 cup of chopped candied ginger (not minced -- but a small chop)
3/4 tsp chili powder (not Texas Chili powder)
1/8 tsp cayenne powder
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp salt
1 10-oz bag of marshmallows
6 cups of rice cereal
1. Line a 9x13" pan with parchment or butter it well.
2. Put the butter, chopped ginger, chili, cayenne and powdered ginger into a large (preferably non-stick) pan. Stir occasionally while the butter melts, then add the marshmallows. Stir until the marshmallows are melted and the mixture is a consistent color. Unlike the traditional recipe, in which you just melt the marshmallows and butter, you want to cook this mixture for at least a minute -- let it bubble but not burn.
3. Add the cereal, mix it well , dump it into the pan, and press the mixture to make flat, even bars. Cut into cubes or bars with a sharp knife when cool.
4. ANOTHER WAY: Flatten the mixture on a silicon mat in a large sheet pan. Imagine that they are Cheese Straws and cut into long narrow strips.